Serbian Orthodox Mission
Bulletin 155 - September 14 / September 27, 2008
The Orthodox Mission
Chronicle of the Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Mission
Diocesan Bishop - His Grace Bishop Dr. MITROPHAN
Aministrator - Fr. Rodney Torbic
408 Morgantown Avenue
Fairmont, West Virginia 26544
September 14 / September 27, 2008
Feast of the Exaltation of the Precious Cross
2 Peter 1:21
No prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
· Nine people came to Divine Liturgy on September 13, 2008.
· The celebration of today's feast will continue liturgically until next Saturday.
· Let us remember the men and women in the military and their families.
· Let us remember the sick, the suffering, the imprisoned, those in care homes,
hospitals, rehab centers and the staffs and caretakers.
· Let us remember the suffering Serbian People in Kosovo and Metohija.
· Continue to support the Mission by coming to services as often as possible.
· Remember the men and women working in dangerous occupations including those in the mines
and criminal justice agencies, the police, correctional officers and parole agents.
· Each person is a missionary.
· Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteers are needed in Harrison County.
Support every child's right to a safe and permanent home, Contact Vesna Meinert,
Volunteer Coordinator for the Harrison County CASA Program at 304-623-5749.
· Thank God for the friends of the Mission.
· Thank God for each person supporting the Mission.
· Thank God for continuing to enable the Divine Liturgy to be celebrated.
· Thank God for the space to hold the Divine Liturgy.
· Thank God for the peaceful atmosphere at the Mission.
From the Wisdom of Solomon
For a holy and disciplined spirit will flee from deceit, and will rise and depart
from foolish thoughts, and will be ashamed at the approach of unrighteousness.
The Feast of the Exaltation of the Precious and Life-giving Cross
The Feast of the Exaltation of the Precious and Life-giving Cross is celebrated on
September 14/27 in the Holy Orthodox Church. Believers venerate the Cross during this
period of celebration and come to learn once again of the power and mystery of the
Cross of Christ.
The Holy Apostle told the Corinthians: "The message of the Cross is foolishness to them
that are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."
St.Nikolai (Velimirovic) said two events are commemorated: "First, the finding of the
Honorable Cross on Golgotha and second, the return of the Honorable Cross from Persia to
Believers kiss the Cross at the conclusion of Divine services. Orthodox homes,
when blessed, are signed with the Cross. Everything blessed in the Orthodox Church
falls under the sign of the Cross.
Believers entering into the celebration of the feast will prostrate before the Cross.
The prostration is a humbling act. The prostration is an act of reverence and recognition,
small though it is, of the power and significance of the Cross through the centuries.
One Orthodox priest told of his experience in a prison in Pennsylvania when inmates
became disorderly. He was in the midst of the prison when this occurred and needed to
move to safety. He held up his hand Cross and headed toward an area of safety.
The inmates respected the Cross and let him pass.
An image of the Cross coming to mind was at a Divine Liturgy in a geriatric center.
The priest celebrating was holding the Chalice to commune the wheelchair confined residents
in attendance. It was necessary to confirm that each was Orthodox by asking or by checking
the wristband. When the priest approached one resident who was unable to speak, as the
priest drew near the man signed himself with the Cross in the Orthodox manner. The man
witnessed by his signing what existed in his heart.
The Holy Apostle Paul told the Galatians: "But God forbid that I should boast except
in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I
to the world." (Gal. 6:14)
Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Mission, Fairmont, West Virginia
September 14 / September 27, 2008
Fr. Rodney Torbic
Back to Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Mission, Fairmont, WV -